Mayor’s Parlour and City Charters
Historic House, free entry
Hereford Town Hall,
St. Owen's Street,
Visit the Mayor’s Parlour and City Charters and see silverware dating from 1189 in this very fine building, opened in 1904.
The City of Hereford has one of the oldest Mayoralties in the country, with an unbroken line of Mayors stretching back to 1382 – more than 625 years. A list of Mayors and Bailiffs since 1382 can be viewed on the landing outside the Mayor’s Parlour.
Hereford does not have a Lord Mayor but a ‘Right Worshipful Mayor’. This title has its origins in the term a ‘worthy’, implying honour and dignity to the holder of an office. The title is quite rare, and the ‘Right Worthship’ has evolved into ‘Right Worshipful’, which is a great honour for the City. Most Mayors are only styled ‘The Worshipful the Mayor’
Free admission but contact the Mayor’s Secretary at Hereford City Council in advance on 01432 260438 to make an appointment.
There is a lift available and the nearest car parking is in Gaol Street.