The oldest parts of the building are Norman, including a round-headed slit window in the south wall and the font bowl. The church was extended in the 14th century and reconsecrated in 1348. The unusual 3-light windows are of a style peculiar to Herefordshire. An early two bowl piscina is in the sanctuary.
The wooden bell turret was built in the 16th century, with internal timber supports added later. Three 18th/19th century bells were restored in the 1980s. The external spire dates from 1871.
The chancel screen of 1613 has interesting carvings. The roof timbers of the chancel are mostly medieval. The nave roof was renewed in the 17th century, at which time the unusual internal timber posts were put in to provide added support. The coloured shields around the church represent the arms of local families (restored in the 19th century). Fragments of medieval wall paintings survive.
The wooden porch includes 17th century material, but was rebuilt to the original style in 1860.
Wall monuments to local families include Bourne (1625), Lord Arthur Somerset (1743), Elfe (1749), Boughton of Poston Court (1794), Seabourne (1798), Wood of Whitehouse (C19-20), McMichael (local doctors, C20). The war memorial is on the north wall.
Revd Skeffington Hume Dodgson was a younger brother of “Lewis Carroll”, and was vicar here from 1895-1910. His grave is in the churchyard, and a display cabinet with documents and photographs of his time here is in the NW corner of the church.
- Free entry
- Free parking
- Off-grid (no Wi-Fi)
- Rural location
- Historical Interest
Directions & Parking
Post Code: HR2 0RB
Un-named turn off B3142 (brown sign, St Bartholomew’s church)