Hike: 45.7 miles over 3 days
Trek from Ross-on-Wye to Whitney Bridge, with overnights at Kilpeck and Ewyas Harold en route.
Highlights on this walk through the lush Wye Valley and Golden Valley, include:
- Gazing at the views from Garway Hill & Merbach Hill
- Walking through ancient woods & former medieval deer parks
- Visiting historic landmarks including Dore Abbey, Snodhill Castle & Arthurs Stone
- Stepping across charming river crossings such as Sellack Suspension Bridge
- Calling at stunning country churches at Kilpeck & St Margarets
Paddle: 52 miles over 3 days
Make the return leg from Whitney Bridge to Ross-on-Wye by canoe, paddling through tranquil green landscapes and negotiating rapids.
Highlights on this route include:
- Tackling the rapids at Monnington Falls and Carey Island
- Observing the resident birdlife at close quarters
- Staying the night at riverside campsites
- Viewing the iconic Hereford Cathedral from a different perspective
- Meandering past the red sandstone cliffs of Brobury Scar
Please note, Whitney Bridge is a private canoe launch point. Canoe hire and access to this launch point is organised through Hereford Kayak & Canoe Hire.
Places to eat & stay
The itinerary recommends perfect places to eat and stay:
- For the hike section, eat and sleep at fantastic country pubs
- For the paddle section, dine at nearby pubs and sleep over at riverside campsites
Our free download provides details of places to eat and stay so that you can make your own bookings. Alternatively, Rural Concierge can organise a trip on your behalf.