St. Michaels is situated in the centre of the village. It dates from the 13th century, but this was not the earliest church in the village. The massive 13th century tower may have once been detached from the church and it is likely that it gave protection from raiders. It houses six bells, which are rung weekly.
On the left when entering the church, is the font and a rare two-manual nineteenth century pipe-organ. There are many beautiful stained glass windows. The pulpit has two sides of early seventeenth century carved panels. The chancel, entered by an arch of the 1868 Restoration, is 13th century.
The early 14th century effigy in the chancel is reputed to be of Clarissa de la Warr, daughter of John Tregoz, Lord of Ewias who died in 1300, and granddaughter of the sister of Saint Thomas Cantilupe of Hereford.
The altar incorporates some bands of rich vine carving, in oak, of the late 15th or early 16th century, and four panels’, two of Netherlandish Mannerist figures of c.1530, and two depicting scenes of the Passion Mid-17th century.
The cross base and shaft in the graveyard are medieval. Today Ewyas Harold and Dulas parish includes the closed church of St. Michael, Dulas.
- Off-grid (no Wi-Fi)
- Rural location
- Historical Interest
- Free entry
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Dogs welcome
Directions & Parking