Nativity of The Blessed Virgin Mary, this church is one of the finest church buildings dating from 100-1350.
It is very large for a village church and can be seen for miles around, set as it is in the wide valley of the River Wye. You are following in the footsteps of countless other worshippers and pilgrims who have been coming here for nearly 1500 years!
A pilgrim site since 550AD. St Dubrcius (Dyfrig), later Bishop of Llandaff, was reputedly born here and founded a Christian community. People began to come specially to Madley from far away; they were on a special journey, rather as some people go to Lourdes in France today. It is thought that there was a statue of the Virgin Mary (Jesus' mother) here, which was believed to have special powers. People came to pray, to ask for God's blessing or to be healed from illness.
Stained Glass window dating back to the 13th or 14th century. 14th-century wall paintings, restored in 1991.
Crypt restored in 2007, is where it is thought the statue of the Virgin Mary was. The pilgrims would have come down these steps, prayed in front of the statue, and then returned to the church by another similar passage on the other side of the crypt. Now used for private prayer, small meetings, and available for retreats.
A member of the Herefordshire Churches Tourism group, who has kindly provided this text. More information about Herefordshire's churches www.visitherefordshirechurches.co.uk
Directions & Parking