Richards Castle St Bartholomew Church & 11th Century Castle

Richards Castle St Bartholomew Church & 11th Century Castle

This twelfth-century church, perched high above the village, is next to one of the earliest Marcher'; castles built by Norman overlords to defend the Anglo-Welsh border.

The detached bell tower, dating from around 1400, was probably part of the castle's defences. Inside, the church has hardly been touched since Georgian times. It is the muted and faded colours as well as the architectural vistas that make this building so beautiful and quietly atmospheric.

There are marvellous furnishings including Georgian box pews, a gallery and a seventeenth-century canopied pew for the Salweys, Lords of the Manor, and still used by them at the two or three services held each year.

Visit on a clear day and enjoy amazing views from the porch all the way to the Black Mountains and the Malvern Hills.

Entry Cost

Free of charge

Hours

Open daily during daylight hours
Richards Castle St Bartholomew Church & 11th Century Castle

Directions & Parking

Map pin Richards Castle
Ludlow
Herefordshire
SY8 4ET
Richards Castle is signed off A49 Ludlow to Leominster road via B4361; in Richards Castle follow brown 'historic church' tourism sign alongside the Castle Inn via country lane for 2 miles until finger post sign at top of hill.

Richards Castle St Bartholomew Church & 11th Century Castle Recommends

Don't forget to visit the ruins of the Marcher Castle behind the church, accessed via the cemetery. The climb to the top of the tower is worth it for the view.